We Need Your Help!
In order to provide the best education we can for your child, we need your help. Research has shown that students achieve tremendous progress when parents and schools unite to help provide opportunities for student learning. The following are ways that you can help your child get the most out of this year!
We will be conducting several assessments throughout the year on every student in 4th grade in the areas of reading, math, writing and vocabulary.
The following are benchmarks that we would like every student to achieve by the end of their 4th grade year:
Reading: We would like each student to be able to:
• Read 125 words per minute orally.
• Identify main idea, inference, draw conclusions, summarize, fact and opinion.
• Increase ability to access and research information.
• Recognize author's purpose/point of view.
• Earn individual goal for AR points per quarter.
Math: We would like each student to:
• Select appropriate customary and metric units of measure to solve application problems involving length, weight, mass and volume.
• Est. and find the product of 2 and 3 digit #’s to solve application problems.
• Demonstrate fluency with basic multiplication and division facts and fact families.
• Compare and order decimals to the hundredths.
• Understand the relationship between fractions and decimals on a # line.
Writing: We would like each student to:
• Write 3-5 paragraph composition with introductory and concluding paragraphs using proper grammar.
• Students will be given grade appropriate vocabulary and asked to use it properly in a sentence.
• Use context clues to learn word meaning and increase vocabulary.
Here is a list of things you can do to help out:
• Require your child to read every day.
• Set a required time for completion of homework.
• Monitor your child’s progress.
• Practice math facts.
• Read/Edit your child’s writing assignments.
• Make sure your child is here every day and on time.
• Talk with your child about their school day and what they are learning.