We Need Your Help!
In order to provide the best education
we can for your child, we need your help. Research has shown that
students achieve tremendous progress when parents and schools unite to
help provide opportunities for student learning. The following are
ways that you can help your child get the most out of this year!
will be conducting several assessments throughout the year on every
student in 3rd grade in the areas of reading, math, writing and
The following are benchmarks that we would like every student to achieve by the end of their 3rd grade year.
If you would like a detailed list of all the third grade objectives you may visit the State Department website.
Reading: We would like each student to be able to;
110 words per minute orally (students who do not reach this level will
be registered for our summer reading academy in July)
• Recognize main idea and supporting details
• Recognize author’s purpose/point of view
• Earn a minimum of 10 AR points per quarter
• Patterns and Algebraic Reasoning
• Number Sense - (Place Value to the 1,000's including Rounding)
• Number Operations and Computation (Addition, Subtraction and Multiplication)
• Geometry and Measurement & Data Analysis and Probability
Writing: We would like each student to
• Write 2-3 paragraph composition with introductory and concluding sentences, main idea, and supporting details
• Include appropriate capitalization, end marks, subject, and predicate
Here is a list of things you can do to help out:
• Students will be given grade appropriate vocabulary and asked to use it properly in a sentence.
• Use context clues to learn word meaning and increase vocabulary
• Require your child to read every day
• Set a required time for completion of homework
• Have your child practice multiplication flash cards every day
• Monitor your child’s progress
• Read/Edit your child’s writing assignments
• Make sure your child is here everyday and on time
• Talk with your child about their school day and what they are learning